Monday 6 October 2014

Miranda's Musings


Hello everyone, Miranda here. I’ll be popping into Breathless in the Bush every now and then to talk about books, books, and more books. What blissful indulgence, to catch up on some of my recent romantic reads. I can’t think of a nicer thing.

So ... what book did I love to love this month?

click the cover to see book details 
I needed a comfort book while I had yucky medical tests (you know, those yearly ones we all have to have). ROAD TRIP WITH THE ELIGIBLE BACHELOR by Michelle Douglas was perfect! Single mum Quinn Laverty and her two young boys are on the road from Perth to Sydney, relocating in a high-risk and fairly scary move. A plane strike grounds all Australian flights, and politician-in-the-making Aiden Fairhall hitches a lift with Quinn and the boys in an epic road trip across the Nullabor Plain. Just. So. Fabulous. Instead of sitting in medical rooms stressing, I enjoyed the beaches, the beautiful scenery along the road, and the tender romance. Thanks Michelle, you made me feel so much better.


Who else loves sweet romance? What are your faves?



What did I love to laugh at?
click the cover to see book details
Well... I laughed at me... I am such a scaredy-cat when it comes to thrillers and romantic suspense, but I was a big, brave girl and plunged into Karen M. Davis’s latest release DEADLY OBSESSION, a gritty murder mystery. I’m so glad I did; welcome back Detective Lexie Rogers! Lexie has the unhappy knack of being followed by psychos. Everything becomes personal, coming back full circle to deep grudges (unhinged, whack-job deep grudges) against Lexie and her family, her friends, you name it. I couldn't put the book down. I needed to find out who the villain was - but guessed wrong, as usual (ha!). Good job, Karen, a compelling read.

Anyone else get the jitters when reading romantic suspense, or is it just me?




What did I love to learn?
click the cover to see book details

Like so many romance readers, I read my first Georgette Heyer (Bath Tangle) when I was about fifteen. I loved her sparkling dialogue and charming, oldy-worldy romances. I still do. If you’re a like-minded Heyer fan, don’t miss the magnificent GEORGETTE HEYER: The Biography of a Bestseller by Jennifer Kloester. I can honestly say this is the best biography I’ve ever read. Jennifer had personal access to Heyer’s private papers and such, and her thorough research has produced a fascinating read. It was wonderful to learn more about the Georgette we all adore. You’ll love it. It sent me straight back to the shelves to read one of her crime books, Envious Casca (and no, I didn’t pick the villain), and the swashbuckling romance Beauvallet. Big happy sigh.

What was your first Georgette Heyer?


Till next time, book lovers!

Miranda xx

15 comments:

  1. Hi Miranda! Having read and enjoyed Sinister Intent by Karen M. Davis, I'm looking forward to the next instalment of Lexie's story - Deadly Obsession has almost reached the top of my TBR pile. Yay!
    I haven't read a biography for the longest time but you've inspired me to try the one by Jennifer Kloester, and Michelle Douglas stories are always a lovely read.
    Thanks for this great roundup of reads.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very welcome, Marilyn! Reading is such a wonderful pleasure!
      Miranda

      Delete
  2. Hi Miranda. I went from fairy tales to Georgette Heyer at the single-digit age of 9. Devoured every book and at age 11 progressed to Mills & Boon. Back then all the novels were sweet so I didn't mature too early. :)

    Romantic suspense appeared as a subgenre in my uni days, just when I was craving reads that were more involving. My TV diet of Homicide and Division 4 and Cop Shop influenced my need for grittier romances. (for younger readers of this blog those TV shows were from the 70s and 80s and you can see just how strongly they influenced me when I still remember them).

    To this day I love more gritty romances where lives are at stake. Though I will read the more sweeter stories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Enisa, I remember those TV shows, weren't they terrific? And Georgette Heyer, well... she is simply fabulous. You could try some of her mystery books some time, they might appeal to you!
      Miranda

      Delete
    2. Yes. I will search them out.

      Delete
  3. I loved Road Trip with the Eligible Bachelor too. Awesome. Alas, I haven't read Karen's second - thanks for the review, Miranda. And well, now I am off to find that biography and Beauvallet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, Georgia, you will find some swashbuckling times. Hope you enjoy it. Come back and let us know what you think?
      Miranda

      Delete
    2. Okay, I will! It sounds like a great read.

      Delete
  4. Fabulous reviews Miranda. I've read Sinister Intent so I can't wait to read Deadly Obsession.

    I do love a sweet read, especially in times of stress. The stories are still intense but I really like how sexual tension is handled in a lot of Sweet novels.

    I also love the Heyer biography. Jennifer did such a wonderful job and really gave homage to Heyer in a way that I thought was fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you enjoyed the Heyer biography, Cassandra. I thought it was terrific. Deadly Obsession is pretty scary (for this 'sweet' reader) but a tremendous thriller. Enjoy!
      Miranda

      Delete
    2. These Old Shades was my first Heyer and I loved it. Now I think Devil's cub has taken over that place as my favourite. My real life literary relative Henry Cary is mentioned in Sylvester which is pretty cool.

      Delete
    3. Claim to fame, Cassandra! I'd retell that story as often as possible!
      Miranda

      Delete
  5. My first Georgette Heyer was The Conquerer. I only read it a couple of years ago when a friend of mine gave it to me. GH wrote so I really felt like I was there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why yes, Dee, and the sparkling witty dialogue, and the charming manners, and the... well, preaching to the converted, I see. What a good excuse to sample some more. Let us know what you read next?
      Miranda

      Delete

We love getting comments. Why not leave one?!