Monday 5 October 2015

Newbies’ Corner: Why is Romance Writing so much Fun?

with Sharon Burke

Hello Everyone,


As this is my first blog, I’d like to introduce myself. The most important people in my life are my husband and three adult children. I teach chemistry full-time and write whenever I can. My writing career began over 25 years ago, but most of my publishing credentials are in non-fiction. As a romance writer I am a hopeful newbie.

I hope my blogs will serve as a “Newbie’s corner”. Writers, I believe, are on a journey of professional and personal growth. It would be great if published and yet-to-be-published authors would come and share their ideas on my blogs. I look forward to “talking” with you soon.

Best wishes, 
Sharon

Why is romance writing so much fun?
Here are some of the reasons why I think we enjoy our shared occupation:

Romance writers have a positive world view:

There is so much conflict and suffering in our world, it is easy to lose sight of the good. Romantic fiction describes the joy and fulfilment love can bring. I believe romance writers recognise human foibles and frailty, but have a strong belief in people’s power to take positive steps together as they grow in love, self-knowledge and understanding.                                                                                   

It is fascinating to create characters, place them in novel situations and watch them interact:

I think romance writers enjoy trying to understand people. Perhaps some are “people watchers” who know and value human strengths and weaknesses. Strengths enable us to achieve much; weaknesses give us something to strive for. They make us human. As a romance writer I enjoy playing “what if”. What if a strong, independent, feisty heroine with a goal she simply must achieve encounters a hero with equally powerful reasons to stop her? What if the stakes are raised? It is compelling to create vibrant characters with conflicting goals, put them together, and describe the joys and trials of their shared journey.                                         

Romance writers are positive people who support one another:

One of the greatest joys I find in romance writing lies in being part of the writing community itself. It is rare to find such a positive group of authors, eager to help and to learn from one another.

Relationships can make or break us:

I believe much of the joy in life comes from our shared humanity. Relationships can provide a place where each partner, supported by the other, grows and learns to be the best they can be. But, sadly, they can also be destructive. So, in this imperfect world, Romance writing provides the opportunity to promote the best of partnerships by creating characters who overcome conflict to pursue shared goals as they love, learn and grow together. Our job is crucial. We offer a path of positivity and hope.


So what do you love to love about romance writing? Leave a comment and let me know.

I love to love to create new characters.

I love to laugh; life is full of surprises.

I love to learn new things, to never stop learning.

11 comments:

  1. Hi Sharon and welcome to the Breathless Blog. What a great first post! One of the things I love about romance writing is the people it has connected me with. Since joining RWA, and consequently the Breathless in the Bush writing group, I've met so many wonderful and supportive people. Without the help of my fabulous crit partners I'm not sure I'd be on the brink of publishing my debut novel with Harlequin MIRA. I hope you, too, find the same thing along your Romance-writing journey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Marilyn, Thank you for your encouragement. I agree, one of the best things about Romance writing is being part of the RWA community. I am so glad to have rejoined BITB. The opportunity to receive constructive feedback from friendly, positive people is invaluable. Best wishes, Sharon.

      Delete
  2. Hi Sharon. Congratulations on your first post for the Breathless in the Bush Blog. I love romance writing for all the same reasons, especially for allowing me to let my imagination free to create stories where love conquers all and happily-ever-after does happen. Being able to network with other writers who feel the same is a plus and finding the writers who are the perfect crit partners for you is an extra bonus, one I treasure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Enisa,
      There are so many wonderful aspects to being a romance writer. We are so lucky to write about the positivity in life. Like you, I really enjoy networking with other romance writers and the feedback helps so much.

      Delete
  3. Hi Sharon, and welcome to the Breathless in the Bush blog! Great to have you on board. When I read your post I kept thinking yes, yes, yes, that is everything I enjoy about the company of romance writers, and also writing the books. And reading them! I hope that very soon, beside all your non-fiction books, there is a romance to grace your shelves. What subgenre are you writing in? And what's your favourite to read? I guess I like contemporary romance, a little bit sweet, but I also love historicals.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Malvina,
      Like you, I enjoy reading contemporary romance and historicals. At present, I am researching an idea I have for a historical romance. My favourite romantic novel of recent times is "The Rosie Project" by Graeme Simsion. There are very few stories that cause me to laugh out loud, but this one had me laughing on the train, in coffee shops, on a cruise ship: the list goes on. It was so funny, yet poignant. The sequel is equally engaging.

      Delete
    2. Sounds exciting, a historical. And yes, I recently reread The Rosie Project, and then the sequel, The Rosie Effect. Great fun, both of them! I loved Don, and can't wait for the film.

      Delete
  4. Hi Sharon. So great that you have joinedus here. What wonderful reasons to write romance. I love writing the journey, giving the characters challenges that test them both.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Cassandra. It's great to be part of the group again. I enjoy reading novels where the characters overcome difficult challenges on their journey towards love. Conflict, challenge and triumph keep me turning those pages. Like you, I enjoy plotting and raising the stakes for both hero and heroine.

      Delete
  5. It's so true! Romance writers are positive people...and they share that positivity amongst each other. We're all so giving. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dee. We are so lucky. Romance writing: what a wonderful occupational choice!

      Delete

We love getting comments. Why not leave one?!