Monday 12 February 2018

Romance Around The World: Scotland


The Romance of Scotland


Scotland is such a romantic place. The majesty of Edinburgh Castle set atop towering cliffs in the centre of a bustling city. The beauty of the deep blue and green lochs, surrounded by rolling hills, carved by ice eons ago. Tiny villages in the high country accessed by winding roads passing fast flowing streams and craggy hilltops. A colourful history of strength and fortitude that so many Scotsman and women have displayed in the face of adversity.

pixabay.com.au

It is unsurprising that so many romance novels have been set in this beautiful country. As you may have guessed, I’ve been reading romance novels set in Scotland lately, and would like to share two of my favourites with you.

pixabay.com.au


On Dublin Street


On Dublin Street by Samantha Young, tells the story of Jocelyn Butler who has never come to terms with the sudden loss of her family. She copes by avoiding getting close enough to anyone to need to confide her past, and thus succeeds in blocking it out. This works reasonably effectively, until she leaves the USA for Scotland where she meets Scotsman, Braden Carmichael. Realising that Jocelyn is terrified of commitment, Braden proposes a sexual relationship with no expectation of anything else. Jocelyn agrees. I loved getting caught up in their passionate romance cleverly woven by Samantha Young, and observing the characters’ growing love and self-knowledge.


When a Scot Ties the Knot


When a Scot Ties the Knot: Castles Ever After by Tessa Dare introduces us to socially anxious Madeline Gracechurch, who avoids her London season by inventing a Scottish sweetheart, Captain Logan MacKenzie. She writes him letters over several years, talks about him with her family, and eventually invents the death of her fictitious love. It turns out that the army has forwarded her letters to a real man named Logan MacKenzie, an army captain, who needs to find a home and means of support for his men following the war. The Captain arrives at Madeline’s property to claim his bride and her assets.


Have you read any romances set in Scotland lately? Which was your favourite?

I love to love: We spent several wonderful days with our extended family over the Christmas period.

I love to laugh: I’m watching the mini-series Cranford at present. The antics of the ladies of the town always bring a smile to my face.

I love to learn: We had a mini-break in Mudgee earlier this month, and visited the town of Rylstone. It was fun wandering through the town, reading the historic notices, observing the old sandstone buildings and imagining how life was in the past.



10 comments:

  1. I loved Scotland when I went there but I only saw a smidgen of what there is to see and I'm looking forward to going back there to see more in the future. I think the appeal is the rugged beauty of the place and the people. Their history is as dark as it is romantic so it lends itself perfectly to Romance novels. Another Australian Author who loves to write in Scotland is Amy Rose Bennet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cassandra. I loved Scotland too. I'll have to add some of Amy Rose Bennet's books to my to be read list.

      Delete
  2. Love, love, love Scotland, and am so happy that we are going back there for a holiday in a couple of months. :D Scotland is also one of my favourite settings for a romance, so Tessa Dare's book sounds right up my alley. My all-time favourite Scotland-set series with my all-time favourite hero is Diana Gabaldon's Outlander (sigh).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A couple of months in Scotland sounds like a fantastic way to spend a holiday, Marilyn. Diana Gabaldon is such a good writer. So many wonderful romance novels. So many great books to read.

      Delete
  3. Thanks for this great post, Sharon. Can't say I've read any novels recently that are set in Scotland, but there are several in my TBR pile...including the famous Outlander which I still haven't read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alyssa. I haven't read Outlander yet either. A definite must read.

      Delete
  4. Hi Sharon. I love medieval history and Scotland is full of the danger and intrigue that was so much a part of that time. Myths and legends abound and historical figures such as Scotland's beloved William Wallace lend so much material for historical writers. RspecEspec romance writers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Enisa, I agree with you. Scotland affords so much opportunity for the historical romance author. Some great contemporary novels with Scottish settings have also been written.

      Delete
  5. Hi Sharon, I Love Scotland! Apparently I have deep Celtic roots (and my name is Celtic), so I felt so at home when I visited. I will always be Australian but Scotland tugs at my heart. I love Scottish romances, I think I discovered them way back with Lynsay Sands’ early Books like The Key. I also adore the time travel books from Karen Marie Moning featuring her Highlanders, eg. Beyond the Highland Mist, and To Tame a Highland Warrior, and The Highlander’s Touch. Hmm...I sense a reread coming on...!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Malvina, so many wonderful romance novels with Scottish settings have been written. I'll have to read some of your suggestions.

      Delete

We love getting comments. Why not leave one?!